« The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe » is contributing to the ONE in FIVE Campaign - a pan-European campaign coordinated by the Council of Europe
Congress Strategic Action Plan
Aims of the Council of Europe ONE in FIVE Campaign to stop sexual violence against children
The main aims of the Council of Europe ONE in FIVE Campaign are to:
- achieve further signature, ratification and implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (Lanzarote Convention, CETS 201);
- to equip children, their families/carers and societies at large with knowledge and tools to prevent and report sexual violence against children.
The Lanzarote Convention contains all the measures needed to prevent sexual violence, to protect children and to prosecute the abusers.
The Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe will promote the ONE in FIVE Campaign and raise awareness of local and regional elected representatives and civil servants on how they can stop sexual violence against children living in their towns and regions and strive to gain their political commitment to the cause.
Aims and specific objectives of the local and regional dimensions of the ONE in FIVE Campaign
The overall aims of the ONE in FIVE Campaign at local and regional levels will be to associate Congress members, local and regional authorities and their associations, as well as other partners (NGOs, civil society organisations, officials, professionals, decision-makers, media) with the promotion of the Campaign and to raise awareness of the Lanzarote Convention among local and regional authorities. By doing so, the Congress aims to bring about the adoption of child-friendly local and regional services, to protect children and help prevent sexual violence within the community. The Current Affairs Committee will follow the implementation of the Campaign.
The specific objectives for the Congress will be to:
- raise awareness amongst Congress members, local and regional authorities, associations of local and regional authorities and other partners of the Campaign’s aims;
- promote the use of the Council of Europe’s legal standards and instruments (Lanzarote Convention and Child Friendly Justice Guidelines) when setting up structures and mechanisms for protecting children from all forms of violence;
- encourage local and regional authorities to launch campaigns, develop awareness-raising tools to prevent sexual violence against children, in particular disseminate and adopt campaign awareness-raising materials (in particular the Council of Europe’s Underwear Rule and other campaign material) to assist parents and carers to talk to children about sexual violence in a child-friendly manner;
- promote a multi-stakeholder approach and encourage local and regional authorities to develop coordinated multi-disciplinary structures, processes and mechanisms to tackle sexual violence against children;
- develop a culture whereby towns and regions are more child-friendly and enable children and young people to participate meaningfully in the development of safe communities free from sexual violence.